Will a hair drug test work if my hair is bleached or dyed?
Bleaching or dying of your hair will not prevent a positive drug test result, nor will it cause a false positive result.
Because hair drug testing detects molecules of the drug or drug metabolites in the hair shaft itself, external treatment of the hair will not alter the results. When a hair sample is tested for drug use, it is first washed to remove all external contaminants. The hair is then processed to extract the drugs and drug metabolites present in the hair shaft. These drugs and metabolites entered your hair through your bloodstream below the surface of your scalp or skin. They are not affected by dyes or bleached added to the hair once it emerges from your scalp. The substances obtained by the extraction process are then analyzed for the presence of drugs.
|Free Download: An In-Depth Look at Drug Hair Testing|
Some studies have indicated that cosmetic treatments such as bleach, relaxers, permanents, or dyes may lower the detectable concentration of selected drugs. However, these reductions remain within the standard range of uncertainty for gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS) confirmation tests. These same studies indicate that cosmetic hair treatments had no impact on negative test results.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- How is sleep apnea diagnosed?
- Adulterated Specimen
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry
- Drug Metabolites
- Drug Testing
- Confirmatory Drug Test
- Drugs of Abuse Testing
- Verified Laboratory Test
- Drug Testing
- Hazard Identification Study
- With-Cause Evaluation
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST