Is health coaching an effective tool for a wellness program?
A workplace wellness program can include a number of different services, benefits, and initiatives, which are all aimed at improving the health and safety of an employer’s workforce. Among the services provided by a workplace wellness program may be health coaching. Health coaches are trained medical professionals who provide individualized advice and support to participants in a workplace wellness program. Health coaches may also provide group consultations to employees. Health coaching may be provided in person or via telephone or other means.
Health coaches can interview employees and then help identify employees who have increased health risks. They can also create customized wellness programs and assist employees in reaching individual health goals. According to WebMD Health Services, employees who completed the WebMD coaching program reduced their health care costs by an average of $507 per year. Participants who were classified at high or moderate health risk were also able to reduce their risk levels.
Including health coaching in a worksite wellness program boosts enrollment and enhances the corporation’s culture of wellness. Health coaches can also assist in gathering program feedback and identifying opportunities for improvement.
More Q&As from our experts
- What are the benefits to my company to start a wellness program?
- What certifications are available for employees involved in drug testing?
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- Health Coach
- Health Coaching
- Culture of Health
- Wellness Culture
- Health Risk Assessment
- Health Risk Appraisal
- Comprehensive Worksite Wellness Assessment
- Wellness and Health Promotion Program
- Personal Wellness Report
- Workplace Health (Wellness) Coordinator
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST