Are standing desks better for you than sitting desks?
Even though there are pros and cons to both standing desks and sitting at a desk, studies have indicated that there is no huge benefit of a standing desk.
The bottom line of these studies indicate moderation of both sitting and standing throughout the workday. While working at a sit down desk, do so for an hour or two at the most, then move around for a minimum of two minutes to five minutes and stand for at least ten minutes.
Walking around for a few minutes in between these two tasks adds to the benefits of using a variety of physical movement throughout the day (going to the restroom, getting a drink at the water fountain, using the stairs instead of an elevator) will help blood circulation through the muscles. Frequent mini breaks improve work performance, comfort, and reduces risk of musculoskeletal injury.
Here are a few downfalls to standing all day:
- Prolong standing is tiresome.
- Increases risk of varicose veins.
- Motor skill performance diminishes.
- Increases strain on legs and feet.
- Workstations are expensive.
Here are a few downfalls to sitting all day:
- May increase risk of heart disease.
- May increase risk of kidney disease.
- May increase risk of obesity.
Using a standing desk is not the all in one solution to the question of clerical worker health. In fact, the use of a standing desk serves only one portion of the frequent variety movement equation. A standing desk does not include movement as previously explained.
Standing all day is unhealthy. Sitting all day is unhealthy. However, if you apply both activities within a day; a variety of frequent physical movement within a workday will decrease the risk of many health issues and increase a healthier lifestyle.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- How is sleep apnea diagnosed?
- Ergonomic Program
- Ergonomics Program
- Wellness and Health Promotion Program
- Fitness to Work
- Health Hazard
- Health Professional
- Health Promotion
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST