How can I get an exemption from DOT rule 49 CFR Part 40?
The Department of Transportation (DOT) has regulations that specify how to conduct drug testing and alcohol testing. They also explain how to return employees to safety-sensitive duties after their drug and alcohol violations. These DOT-wide regulations are known as 49 CFR Part 40.
It is possible to get an exemption from a requirement in this regulation. First, you must request an exemption in writing from the Office of the Secretary of Transportation. This must follow the provisions and standards of 49 CFR part 5 (find out more below).
A request for exemption will only be granted under special or exceptional circumstances that are not likely to be generally applicable. If DOT recognizes that you are unable to comply with a specific requirement of 49 CFR part 40, you must then take the steps specified under the exemption. All exemptions will be issued as a written response.
Provisions and standards of 49 CFR part 5
49 CFR part 5 covers the rule-making procedures.
- Applicability: "Secretary" means the Secretary of Transportation or a person to whom the Secretary has delegated authority
- The secretary initiates rule-making and may consider the recommendations of other agencies and persons
- Records concerning rule-making actions are kept in current cocket form in the Office of the General Counsel
- Filing and processing of petitions (e.g. for amendment, repeal, or for a permanent or temporary exemption)
- General procedures, contents of notices, hearings, adoption of finals rules, procedures for direct final rule-making and more
More Q&As from our experts
- What certifications are available for employees involved in drug testing?
- What is a roadside drug screening?
- Are drug test results confidential under HIPAA?
- Background Check
- Sensitive Information
- Hazard Identification Study
- Immunoassay Screening
- Random Drug Testing
- Laboratory Testing
- Employee Assistance Program
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST