What companies can be audited by the FTA in a Drug and Alcohol Compliance Audit?
Generally, the FTA provides assistance to companies and organizations that fall into the local public transport sector. These include buses, subways, light rail, ferries, commuter rail and trolleys.
One of their roles involves conducting a formal review of companies and organizations to ensure compliance with federal regulations. This is known as a Drug and Alcohol Compliance Audit.
A series of questions may be covered during the audit across several personnel. These can include the drug and alcohol program manager, the person responsible for urine collection and recording, a breath alcohol technician, an oral fluid test technician, medical review officer, substance abuse professional and a third party administrator.
The FTA is one of several agencies within DOT who can carry out audits for compliance with DOT's drug and alcohol program. Other agencies within DOT which may carry out drug and alcohol compliance audits include:
- The Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA) for the trucking industry
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) for pipeline transportation
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for the aviation industry
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) for the rail industry
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) for coastal defence and maritime law enforcement
Employers need to know which agency their company falls under because each one has their own set of regulations that need to be adhered to. If work is performed under multiple DOT agencies then the employer may be audited by more than one agency.
Generally, a company can expect to be audited by the FTA (as opposed to one of the other DOT agencies listed above) if they fall under the local transportation sector.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- How is sleep apnea diagnosed?
- Drug Testing
- Hazard Identification Study
- With-Cause Evaluation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Provider Organization
- Sensitive Information
- Culture of Health
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST