What does an ergonomic assessment include?
There is no clear cut golden rule as to what an ergonomic assessment should include. Simply put, a copy and paste assessment format from another business organization or vendor will not be effective, meaningful, or of value to your organization. An ergonomic assessment is best utilized when it is tailored to your site specific operations and workstations.
Beside the usual information such as who conducted the assessment, workstation identification, date of assessment, and name of employees/operators involved in assessment, there are key factors that any assessment should observe during an assessment that apply to most any job task or workstation. They are as follows:
Ergonomic Assessment Topics
Workstation Environment (noise, lighting, and temperature)
Physical and Muscular Work Demands
It is noteworthy to mention that the assessment should be conducted by an experienced occupational therapist or ergonomist so that they can identify current condition of the workstation and provide a professional opinion on how to correct any ergonomic issues. Below are ideas of what should be included in an ergonomic assessment package.
Ergonomic Assessment Package
Completed Ergonomic Assessment of Each Workstation in the Study
Behavioral and Postural Recommendations
Pause and Stretch Routine Program
Workstation and Equipment Adjustment Recommendations
Workstation Equipment Use Recommendations
National Institute of Safety and Health (NIOSH) lifting equation calculations as applicable
More Q&As from our experts
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- How is sleep apnea diagnosed?
- Ergonomic Evaluation
- Biomechanical Stressor
- Risk-Based Approach
- Safety Case
- Safety-Sensitive Position
- Institute of Medicine
- Needs Assessment
- Clinical Preventive Services
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST