What is a non-DOT urine drug test?
A non-DOT urine drug test is a drug test given to an employee in a non Department of Transportation (DOT) industry. Whilst employees of DOT regulated companies must undergo DOT drug testing, non-DOT companies will have a broader range of drug testing options to choose from.
Employers in non-DOT industries may consider urine drug tests for employees in safety sensitive or security sensitive roles. Other reasons to consider non-DOT urine drug tests include whether the business is federally funded, whether it is in the transportation sector, and whether there is an existing drug or alcohol problem in the workforce.
Non-DOT drug testing can include a wider range of substances
A DOT drug test involves a 5-panel test. This tests for cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines, opioids and phencyclidine (PCP). With a non-DOT urine drug test, the employer can choose to test for a wider range of drugs. They may opt to screen the employee for the five drugs tested for DOT employees. Or they can choose from a 7 panel, 10 panel, 12 panel or 15 panel test.
Some of the additional substances that can be tested for in a non-DOT urine drug test include:
- Prescription painkillers
- Anabolic steroids
Non-DOT urine drug tests come with a little more flexibility
DOT companies are always required to undergo DOT drug testing. However they can still establish their own drug testing protocol, which may include non-DOT urine drug tests. These companies must conduct DOT drug testing first and any non-DOT drug testing must be carried out separately to DOT testing.
The process of a non-DOT urine drug test may be faster than a DOT drug test and you could receive the results on the same day as testing. A DOT drug test follows quite a thorough process and it could take a few days for the results to come through.
More Q&As from our experts
- Why do initial drug tests need to be confirmed?
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- Drug Testing
- Hazard Identification Study
- With-Cause Evaluation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Provider Organization
- Sensitive Information
- Culture of Health
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST