Who Does DOT Regulation 49 CFR Part 40 Cover?
The Department of Transportation (DOT) rule 49 CFR part 40 describes the required procedures for conducting workplace drug testing and alcohol testing. It covers all individuals in the federally regulated transportation industry. All DOT agencies must abide by this part when appointing individuals to safety-sensitive positions within the transportation sector.
DOT rule 49 CFR part 40 covers all parties who conduct the drug and alcohol tests that are required by DOT. It explains regulations around how to conduct drug and alcohol tests and what procedures to follow.
These personnel include:
- Employees who are being tested for drug and alcohol violations
- Employers of these employees
- Urine collection personnel (Learn more in "Who will administer my urine drug testing?")
- The drug testing laboratories that carry out urine specimen analysis
- Medical review officers assigned to evaluate the results of an individual's drug test
- Alcohol testing personnel
- Substance abuse professionals (SAPs). These are the specially trained personnel who help employees that are struggling with drug and/or alcohol addiction.
- Designated Employer Representatives (DERs). This is either the employer or an employee who is authorized to determine when a safety-sensitive employee may be removed from duty.
Ultimately, DOT rule 49 CFR part 40 covers the activities of transportation employers, safety-sensitive transportation employees (such as self-employed individuals, contractors and volunteers as covered by DOT agency regulations), and service agents.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is an ergonomic assessment?
- What are some of the key things employers need to consider about ergonomics in the workplace?
- How is sleep apnea diagnosed?
- Drug Testing
- Hazard Identification Study
- With-Cause Evaluation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Employee Assistance Program
- Preferred Provider Organization
- Sensitive Information
- Culture of Health
Subscribe to the Workplace Testing Newsletter
Join thousands of employment testing and employee wellness professionals.
- DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing: Your Comprehensive Guide to Getting It Right the First Time
- FREE DOWNLOAD! Sleep Apnea in the Workplace: Your Comprehensive Guide to Proper Diagnosis
- Free Download: 5 Ergonomic Concepts All Employers Should Know
- What Your Company's Drug and Alcohol Policy Might Be Missing
- Complimentary Webinar | Managing Marijuana in Your Workplace | November 6, 2018 11:00 AM EST